ALIFE 2018: PRE CONFERENCE
We will hold the invitational ALIFE 2018: PRE CONFERENCE on Sunday, July 22nd to celebrate The 2018 Conference on Artificial Life for the first time since the unification of the American and European institutes. Your participation would be greatly appreciated.
The event will use the entire National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan). The researchers’ presentations and artists’ performances will be held on the seventh floor. Tea ceremonies for a limited number of people will be held in the morning and at break time. After closing, we will also have a night museum and a reception party in the exhibition space on the third floor. In the Symbol Zone on the first floor, you can see an android opera.
Artificial Life (“ALife”) is a field of research that explores the principles of phenomena associated with living systems such as the origin of life, autonomy, self-replication, self-organization, and evolution. The International Conference on Artificial Life "ALIFE" was first held at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in the US in 1987 and has been held every 2 years at either the American or European institutes since 1991. This will be the 31st year since then and this year, these two institutes have unified. We are proud to announce that the first International Conference on Artificial Life after the unification will be held here in Japan.
ALIFE Lab., which is organizing ALIFE 2018, feels that artificial life research needs to adopt a variety of viewpoints and ideas not only from the research field, in order to bring new discoveries. The University of Tokyo professor Takashi Ikegami, the director of the ALIFE Lab, ALife and complex scientific systems scientist and the general chair of ALIFE 2018 decided to hold the “ALIFE 2018: PRE CONFERENCE.” The conference is an event which will discuss the theme “BEYOND AI”. Fifteen researchers and artists from inside and outside the country who may have an enormous impact on the research direction of ALife were chosen as speakers, and about 250 people from a variety of fields, such as art, architecture, design, technology and business will be invited to the event. We are eagerly looking forward to the new and unanticipated developments that will come from this.
In addition to ALIFE 2018, we will continue to keep the ALife community active in Japan in the future as well. Through this event, we hope you are able to learn about the appeal and possibilities of ALife, and hope to provide new directions for your activities and business by connecting you with researchers and others in your field.
Thank you for your consideration.
[Program]*The program is subject to change without notice.
9:00-10:00 Welcome coffee and registration.
We will offer refreshments such as coffee and snacks. A tea ceremony will be held on a first come first serve basis by “The TEA-ROOM,” which is an artist group led by Souryou Matsumura, the tea master of Urasenke Tea Ceremony School. (The details will be released soon.)
10:00-11:20 Session 1
- Martin Hanczyc (Chemist)
- Alex Penn (Complex Systems Scientist)
- Norman Packard (Chaos Theory Physicist)
11:45-13:05 Session 2
- Ei Wada (Artist/Musician)
- Kenneth O. Stanley (Senior Research Scientist at Uber AI Labs )
- Yoichi Ochiai (Media Artist/Researcher)
- Seth Bullock (Complex Systems Scientist)
14:30-15:50 Session 3
- Masako Nakauchi (Puppet Performer)
- Takashi Ikegami (General Chair of ALIFE 2018)
- Takashi Ikegami (General Chair of ALIFE 2018)
- Naohiro Ukawa (Contemporary Artist)
- Ken Suzuki (Researcher/CEO at SmartNews Inc.)
- Son Taizo (Serial Entrepreneur/Investor)
16:15-18:15 Session 4
- evala (Sound Artist)
- Kenichi Mogi (Neuroscientist)
- Keisuke Suzuki (Embodied Cognitive Scientist)
- Ryota Kanai (Consciousness Scientist)
- David Oreilly (Filmmaker/Artist)
18:15-20:15 Reception Party
The reception will be held after closing in the third-floor exhibition space illuminated with special lighting from Geo-Cosmos, where you will be able to see artwork by Takashi Ikegami, Tatsuo Miyajima and award-winning artwork from Art Hack Day.
20:30-22:00 Opera Performance
The new opera "Scary Beauty,” which was composed by Keiichiro Shibuya, will feature android opera singers co-developed by The Takashi Ikegami Laboratory and The Hiroshi Ishiguro Laboratory.
* The opera is a public event. The invitees will take priority but we are not able to reserve specific seats. Thank you for understanding.
Date: July 22nd Time: 09:00-22:00
- 09:00-10:00 Open (Tea ceremony)
- 10:00-18:15 Main Program/Sessions (with simultaneous interpretation)
- 18:15-20:15 Night Museum and Reception Party.
- 20:30-22:00 Opera performance
Venue: The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan)
(We will contact you at a later date regarding how to enter on that morning.)
Admission Fee: 30,000 yen.
Dress code: There is no dress code, please wear anything you'd like.
Host: ALIFE Lab. (Office: VOLOCITEE Inc.)
Co-Host: The International Society for Artificial Life (ISAL), Next Generation Artificial Intelligence Research Center at University of Tokyo
Sponsors: Tokyo Institute of Technology Earth-Life Science Institute, Ken Suzuki, Mistletoe inc, LIFULL Co., Ltd., DWANGO Co., Ltd., Progress Technologies Inc, Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd. POLA corporate culture magazine "WE/", Fixstars Solutions, Inc, XCompass, Ltd. , Evolinguistics: Integrative Studies of Language Evolution for Co-creative Communication, Correspondence and Fusion of Artificial Intelligence and Brain Science, DENSO Corporation, Cognitive Interaction Design, Osaka University of Arts, Mitsubishishoji & Sun, SoftBank Corp., CCC Photolife Lab Inc., Human Link Inc., Honda Research Institute Japan,、Nissan Motor Company Ltd.
Supporting Organization: Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
- General: K.Yasuda firstname.lastname@example.org
- Media: A.Tsukada or N.Nomura email@example.com
[Cancellation Policy and Disclaimer]
By purchasing a ticket, you are acknowledging your agreement to the items below.
- Cancellations up to two weeks before the event will be entitled to a full refund, however, cancellations less than two weeks before the event will not be refunded.
- The admission fee will not be refunded in the case of a natural disaster such as an earthquake, a state of emergency such as public transportation disruptions, or situations in which we cannot avoid cancelling the event.
- We do not take responsibility for any accidents, injuries, illnesses, or problems among the participants during the event.
- The photos and videos taken by the organizer during the event will be released on various media outlets.
Add to Calendar
Sun Jul 22, 2018
9:00 AM - 10:00 PM JST
9:00 AM - 10:00 PM JST
Ticket (Including Conference, Reception Party, Opera) ¥30,000 Student Discount (Including Conference, Reception Party, Opera) ¥15,000
Combini / ATM payment will be closed at the end of Jul 21, 2018.
- Venue Address
- 江東区青海２丁目３−６ Japan
ALIFE Lab.307 Followers
Want to find more groups and events like this?